February 14, 2023
KetoFLEX 12/3 Kitchen: Get Your Mardi On!
We celebrate Mardi Gras by taking culinary cues from the rich heritage of Creole and Cajun cooking while highlighting neuroprotective vegetables and fruits. This month’s recipes for our PreCODE and ReCODE members
include Creole Shrimp and Eggplant Casserole, Mardi Gras Salad, and Blackberry Lime Spritzer (recipe below.)
Blackberry Lime Spritzer
Consider including our Blackberry Lime Spritzer in your Mardi Gras celebrations. It is an excellent mocktail that provides a light and refreshing way to enjoy neuroprotective berries while increasing your electrolyte intake.
Blackberries are loaded with vitamin C and are a wonderful source of anthocyanins, the phytochemical that gives these berries their deep black/purple color. The mineral water provides essential electrolytes. Don’t forget to spoon out the muddled blackberries from the bottom of your glass for an extra immunity boost!
Yield: One Serving
● 5 medium to large blackberries
● 1/4 of a lime
● 6 oz sparkling mineral water (such as natural sparkling Gerolsteiner.)
● 1 to 2 drops of SweetLeaf Sweet Drops (optional)
● Ice, as desired
1. Muddle the blackberries with a mortar & pestle or simply place them in your glass and use a fork or spoon to muddle the berries.
2. Squeeze one-quarter of the lime into the glass and drop the remaining peel in the glass.
3. Add sparkling water and stir.
4. Before sweetening try sipping the spritzer, you may find that it doesn’t need sweetening.
5. Add ice (if desired) and enjoy!