April 30, 2020
Carolina’s Kitchen: Comfort Food and COVID-19
When sheltering in place, it can be easy to get off track and reach for carbohydrate-rich foods to soothe us in this time of stress. We are here to encourage you to be kind to yourself and also to stick to the KetoFLEX 12/3 guidelines. Remember your long-term goals when you feel a craving for mac ‘n’ cheese, pizza, or fried food coming on and reach for my healthy alternatives instead. If you end up having a few bites of a “no” food, kindly remind yourself to get back on track. It’s never too late in the day or week to change and refocus. Every day is a new opportunity to reinvent yourself. In every crisis, lies opportunity — the choice is yours!
The recipes for Cauliflower Mac and “Cheese” and Green Pizza are below. The Breaded Baked Cod and Homemade Mayonnaise & Tartar Sauce recipes, and many more based on the Bredesen Protocol and Apollo Health’s KetoFLEX 12/3 Nutritional Guidelines are available to members of the ReCODE monthly subscription program.
Cauliflower Mac & “Cheese”
Take a time machine back to your childhood with this recipe for mac and cheese, except this time; you will know exactly what is in the cheese sauce and the “macaroni.” This recipe is cheesy, savory, and a delicious way to get in a healthy serving of fiber and
Prep Time: 30 minutes
• 1 cup cubed butternut squash
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• 1 can *coconut milk unsweetened or 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
• 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
• ½ small sweet onion, diced
• ¾ tsp Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp turmeric
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 Tbsp *ghee (from pastured dairy) or avocado oil
* high in SFA. ApoE4 carriers and those with vascular concerns may wish to experiment with using alternatives.
• 1 ½ large head of cauliflower, stem removed and cut into bite-sized florets
• 2 tbsp high avocado oil
• ¼ tbsp chopped fresh parsley
• 3 cups baby spinach (must be USDA Organic)
• 4 oz sliced mushrooms
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
2. Toss the cauliflower florets in 2 tbsp of avocado oil and the salt. Lay them out evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until slightly tender.
3. In a medium saucepan, add the 2tbsp of ghee or avocado oil over low-medium heat. Add the squash, carrot, onion, mustard, salt, pepper, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder.
4. Lightly sauté for about 8 minutes until the onion is translucent.
5. Add in the coconut milk or almond milk and bring to a simmer. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
6. Pour the contents into the blender and puree until smooth. Add in the egg yolk and blend. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
7. Add a little avocado oil to a pan over low-medium heat.
8. Once the oil is warm, add in the mushrooms and spinach — season with salt and pepper to your taste.
9. Lightly sauté until the spinach wilts (approximately 3 minutes).
10. Place the cooked cauliflower in a bowl with the spinach and mushrooms and pour the sauce over the top. Gently toss and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Goodbye Papa Johns and hello KetoFLEX 12/3. During this pandemic, it’s extremely easy to crave foods we love to soothe us and provide short term stress relief. The keyword is short term, remember we are in this for the long haul. Next time you see a commercial for your favorite pizza delivery, put down the phone and instead get to cooking! Make it a pizza party and cook with your shelter in place buddies. Play with different toppings and see who can make the best combination.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes approximately
Serving: 1 pizza crust
• 2 (10oz) bags of frozen kale or spinach (Must be USDA Organic)
• 3 large eggs well beaten
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder if you have it, if not use fresh minced garlic.
• Tomato sauce (Must be USDA Organic) or pesto sauce. Look for brands with the least ingredients. Avoid ones with added sugar or vegetable, soy or palm oil.
• Any veggies you would like (bell peppers, mushrooms, arugula, olives, eggplant, artichokes, asparagus, and onions.)
• Any herbs or spices: oregano, garlic, or basil.
• Cheese of your choice: If you are sensitive to dairy opt for shredded almond cheese from brands such as kite-hill or make your own.
Goat cheese or buffalo mozzarella or any from A2 dairy source is ok in small amounts due to inflammatory concerns. Cheese from goats, buffalo, sheep or yak are always A2 and grass-fed.
• No cheese: Skip the cheese and pile on the veggies!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, make sure the rack is up high.
1. Place the thawed frozen kale or spinach in a colander.
2. Squeeze the frozen vegetables in your hands to thoroughly drain the water out.
3. Transfer the squeezed veggies into a large mixing bowl.
4. In a separate bowl beat the 3 eggs with the sea salt and garlic powder or fresh minced garlic.
5. Pour the beaten eggs into the large mixing bowl with the kale/spinach and mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer to a 9.5” to 7” baking sheet or dish that is well greased with coconut oil. If your pan is larger, no problem just increases the amount of spinach/kale and eggs until you get enough to cover the surface of the pan.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and it feels firm to the touch.
8. Remove the pizza crust from the oven and brush with a thin layer of your favorite tomato sauce or pesto.
9. Increase the temperature to 400 F.
10. Top with your cheese of choice and your favorite toppings, bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Breaded Baked Cod
Craving something savory and fried? This dish will satisfy both cravings! Although this fish is baked instead of fried, it is so flavorful it won’t matter.
Breaded Baked Cod Recipe
Homemade Mayonnaise & Tartar Sauce
Making your own mayonnaise sauce is simple and rewarding! By making your own mayonnaise, you can control what goes into making it. Add your own twist and add garlic for an extra punch. Yes, you can find mayonnaise in the store, but most of those alternative “mayos” (olive oil mayo included) contain oils such as canola, soybean, and corn oil. Take the time to make your own (even though it only takes five minutes!). You won’t regret it!
Mayonnaise & Tartar Sauce Recipe