October 23, 2020
Carolina’s Kitchen: Autumnal Harvest
By Carolina Curlionis, Nutritionist for Apollo Health
It’s happening … ! The leaves are changing, the days are getting shorter, and the cooler temperatures are settling in. Along with the changing weather, the way we cook is changing too. Bring on the stews and soups, and let’s indulge in colorful, fresh, seasonal fall produce such as pumpkins, Brussels sprouts, and pomegranates. These October recipes are sure to help you ease into the fall spirit and not miss summer too much.
The cozy recipe for Scrumptious Pumpkin Spice Latte is below, and the remaining KetoFLEX 12/3-friendly recipes for Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Greens Salad, Comforting Zucchini Bread, and Slow Cooker Lamb Stew, are available to members of the PreCODE or ReCODE monthly subscription program.
Scrumptious Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin spice season has arrived, and so has fall. Be your own barista with this pumpkin spice latte that is sure to impress your taste buds. Top it with a dollop of coconut whipped cream if you desire. This treat is great with a slice of our zucchini bread while curled up with a good book.
Yields: One latte
Prep time: 5 minutes
• ½ tsp pumpkin spice seasoning, plus more for topping (If you don’t have a pre-mixed one: Combine 4 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground cloves, and ½ tsp ground nutmeg.)
• 1 cup almond milk, plain, unsweetened
• monk fruit sweetener or stevia to taste
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
• ¼ cup hot coffee, decaf is fine
• 1 can coconut cream, refrigerate overnight before making the latte
1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla, mixing well over medium heat until warm.
2. Add in your sweetener of choice to taste.
3. Whisk your milk mixture vigorously, until it appears foamy.
4. Pour your coffee into a mug and then add in the desired amount of milk mixture.
5. To prepare the coconut whipped cream, in a bowl, whisk the coconut cream well, you can add some sweetener if desired.
6. Top the latte with a dollop of the whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of extra pumpkin pie spice seasoning.
Per one latte with 1 tbsp of coconut whipped cream
Total Fat: 8g
Total Carbs: 4g
Shaved Brussels Sprouts &
There are other ways to prepare these little green bundles of nutrients besides broiling and roasting them! Try using Brussels sprouts mixed with lettuce as the base of your salad and tossing them with some pomegranate seeds, slivered almonds, and voila, you have yourself a fancy fall salad.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Greens Salad recipe
Comforting Zucchini Bread
There is nothing more soothing on a crisp fall day than the smell of cinnamon and bread baking. Fill your home and belly up with this zucchini bread recipe. Enjoy it with a layer of ghee on top and with a mug of your favorite tea or our pumpkin spice latte.
Comforting Zucchini Bread recipe
Slow Cooker Lamb Stew
This cozy stew is sure to keep you warm all fall and winter. Cooking this stew over a long period of time makes this dish super flavorful and is sure to become a staple. There is nothing better on a cold day than a bowl of stew to warm you up.
Slow Cooker Lamb Stew recipe