June 18, 2020
Carolina’s Kitchen: A Fresh Take on Summer
Summer is here! This month make it your goal to spend more time outside. Soak in the sun and the positive energy it brings by having an outdoor picnic with your loved ones in your back yard. Find some fun back yard games to play like bocce ball or corn hole and make a whole day out of it. It’s important to find ways to bring joy and positivity into this “new normal.”
The recipe for Fresh Spring Rolls is below. The recipes for Almond Butter Dipping Sauce, Popsicles, and many more based on the Bredesen Protocol and Apollo Health’s KetoFLEX 12/3 Nutritional guidelines, are available to members of the ReCODE monthly subscription program.
Fresh Spring Rolls
Spring Rolls are a perfect summer dish! They are crisp, fresh, and flavorful. The best thing about spring rolls is that you can be as creative as you would like! You can follow the recipe as is, or you can eat just the fillings and add in extra toppings like fresh bell peppers, a drizzle of high polyphenol olive oil, or cucumbers.
For the filling:
• ¼ cup fresh green onions, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp lime juice
• 1 tsp fresh ginger
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 2 tbsp avocado oil
• 6 oz firm tofu, crumbled (you can crumble it with your hands or a fork)
• 6 oz shrimp must be wild caught
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
• 2 cups of cabbage
• 1 tbsp coconut aminos
• 1 medium onion finely chopped
• 2 tbsp filtered water
• Avocado, sliced for topping
For the wrapper:
• 3 quarts of filtered water
• 3 tbsp sea salt
• 1 head of cabbage
1. In a wok or skillet over low medium heat add in the oil, letting it warm.
2. Add in the garlic and onions and cook until tender.
3. Add in the ground tofu and cook until lightly browned about three minutes.
4. Add in the shrimp and cook until they are all pink.
5. Next, add in the carrots and allow to cook for another three minutes.
6. Add in the cabbage, coconut aminos, salt, pepper, lime, ginger, and water.
7. Cook for a few more minutes until the cabbage is done.
For the wrapper:
1. Remove about eight large leaves from the head of cabbage.
2. Place the water in a large pot.
3. Add in the salt and bring the filtered water to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, have a large bowl filled with ice cubes on standby.
5. Once the water boils, place the leaves in the water for one minute.
6. Then remove the leaves from the water and place the leaves in the ice for another minute.
1. Place ¼ cup of the filling in the center of your leaf and roll.
2. Top with some sliced avocado or other veggies or olive oil if you would like.
3. You can use a toothpick to keep it in place or use a stem of the green onions to tie it, as seen above in the picture on the left.
4. Serve with Almond Butter Dipping Sauce.
Almond Butter Dipping Sauce
A great sauce to add an Asian flair to any vegetable or protein dish.
Almond Butter Dipping Sauce recipe
There is nothing better than a popsicle on a nice summer day. This is a fun activity you can do with your kids or grandkids. There are a few ideas for popsicles included in the recipe below: Goat Milk Yogurt and Mixed Berries, Lemon Pops, and Almond Raspberry Chocolate Chip.