October 19, 2021
KetoFLEX 12/3 Kitchen: Fall Into Autumn
The cooler days, brisk breezes, and early sunsets make autumn the perfect time to get cozy with those you love. While some prefer to celebrate the sweet flavor profile of fall with “pumpkin spice and everything nice,” we’re going to encourage you to embrace its savory side with a few simple, hearty, one-dish meal ideas that will be sure to bring the whole family together.
Get into the fall spirit with Roasted Delicata and Broccolini Salad (see recipe below) and the recipes for Soul Warming Chili and Lamb Stew available to members of our PreCODE and ReCODE programs.
Roasted Delicata & Broccolini Salad
This salad is fall on a plate. The slow-roasted delicata squash and broccolini, imbued with sage and thyme, atop soft, seasonal baby lettuces, gently tossed with our Apple Cider Vinaigrette and garnished with pomegranate and pumpkin seeds combine to create an artful, sweet, and savory masterpiece. Top with your favorite KetoFLEX 12/3 protein.
• 1 small delicata squash (approximately 12 oz.), sliced
• 8 broccolini stalks, with stems removed
• 4 tbs high polyphenol extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp thyme
• 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
• 6 cups seasonal mixed baby greens
• 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinaigrette
• 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds for garnish
• 4 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds with sea salt for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Gently rinse and shake your broccolini until it’s dry. Cut off the stalks and discard or reserve for another use. Make sure the broccolini florets are cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside for between 10-45 minutes to increase the level of healthful sulforaphane.
3) Gently scrub your delicata squash. Keeping the skin on, cut off the ends of the squash and carefully slice in half the long ways. Discard the inside pulp and seeds. Slice the hollowed out squash into even-sized half circles, approximately 1/2 inch or slightly thinner.
4) Pour the EVOO and the spices into a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Add the delicata squash and broccolini florets. Gently stir until all pieces are evenly coated.
5) Line a large baking tray (or two if necessary) with parchment paper. Place the delicata squash on one side (or tray) and broccoli florets on the other.
6) Place the tray(s) into preheated oven. Around the halfway point (10-12 mins.), flip the delicata squash. When the squash and broccolini start to brown, (another 10-12 mins.) they are done.
7) Set the two baking trays aside and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
8) Pour the well-blended Apple Cider Vinaigrette into a large mixing bowl. Add the seasonal baby greens and gently toss.
9) Arrange the dressed lettuce on plates. Add the still warm delicata squash and broccolini florets on top.
10) Add extra vinaigrette dressing as needed.
11) Garnish with the pomegranate and pumpkin seeds to finish your masterpiece.